The St. John Hospital and Medical Center (SJH&MC) Guild is a volunteer organization established in 1948 to afford members an outlet for the practice of their Christian and civic charity toward the sick by striving in every way possible to assist the Sisters of St. Joseph (a sponsoring congregation of SJH&MC) in establishing and maintaining St. John Hospital. THE GUILD plays an important role in the development and expansion of health care services offered to the community by SJH&MC. The organization raises money to assist a countless number of patients by providing needed medical equipment, technology and services. Over the years, THE GUILD has raised over $15 million dollars for the hospital. Its major fundraising event is the annual GUILD Dinner, first held in 1961. THE GUILD also sponsors other events throughout the year in support of the hospital. Money raised has been used to purchase much-needed equipment and fund innovative new programs.